SHBXWHS003 Apply Safe Hygiene, health and work practices
This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to follow safe practices to minimise risks to self, client and colleagues in a salon environment.
It requires the ability to follow hygiene and skin penetration guidelines, clean the work area, use electricity safely, identify and report faults, use personal protection and work safely.
This unit applies to workers in environments providing beauty treatments and hairdressing or barbering services. In these environments they work with limited supervision, and have responsibility for providing safe treatments for their clients.
The skills in this qualification must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State or Territory legislation, Australian standards and industry codes of practice.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
Nationally Recognised Code & Title
SHBXWHS003 Apply Safe Hygiene, health and work practices.
- Basic Language, literacy and numeracy skills in English (LLN)
- Victorian Student Number (VSN) – Victoria only:
- VSNs are issued to all students enrolled in Victorian schools and to students enrolled at a TAFE or in an accredited course with an RTO. For a copy of your VSN please contact your current school 0r call 1800 822 635.
- Unique Student Identifier (USI) – Australia wide:
- A USI is a reference number made up of numbers and letters. It creates a secure online record of your nationally recognised training that you can access anytime and anywhere, and it’s yours for life. To receive a Statement of Attainment when completing your course, you will need to give us a copy your USI number. Creating a USI is free. To obtain this USI if you don’t already have one please follow the link below: http://www.usi.gov.au
- Access to a functional pc or tablet device with video recording capabilities, internet access and Chrome internet
- Access to an Autoclave and studio cleaning room. If this is not available, you may arrange to attend one of our training venues for access to our
This unit is completed by self-paced work online. The nominal hours for the course are 75hrs.
Online access remains live for 3 months. Any additional extension will incur an Administration Fee of $250.
$499 per candidate.
Our support staff are available to students and potential students who require support.
- Evidence of the ability to complete tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit in the context of the job role and demonstrated knowledge required to complete the tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit:
- basic aspects of the relevant state or territory Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) or Work Health and Safety (WHS) legislation
- industry and organizational procedures relevant to own job role
- reports for hazards, injuries, emergencies and dangerous incidents
- hierarchy of risk control
- safe work practices for own job role with particular emphasis on
- relevant state or territory and local legislation and guidelines relevant to own job role
- infection control procedures relevant to salon treatments and to own job role
- organizational infection control procedures
- infectious agents and their relationship to salon treatments and service
- transmission routes of infectious diseases and their relationship to personal services and treatments
- blood to blood infections
- contingency procedures for occupational exposure to blood and body fluid
- infectious contraindications relevant to own job role and required action steps
- appropriate selection and use of personal protective equipment relevant to own job role
- immunisation protection for workers in the personal services industry
- methods of cleaning procedures used in a salon environment
- benefits of physical, thermal and chemical disinfection
- different types, dilutions and storage of chemical disinfection products
- safe use of electrical equipment and according to manufacturer instructions relevant to own job role
The course covers the theory and practice associated with:
- Protect self from infection risk
- Apply organisational safety procedures
- Use electricity safely.
- Minimise infection risks in the salon environment.
- Follow infection control procedures.
- Follow procedures for emergency situations.
- Clean salon.
Contact our office regards to training in your state.
Begin the enrollment process by clicking on the Enrol Now button below.